Friday, March 6, 2009

Relay for Life 2009

I'M BAAACCCCKKKK!!
I know it's been a while. Things have been busy around here. We went to Winterfest in Gatlinburg, TN with our church youth group a couple of weekends ago. There were about 57 of us and we truly had a blast. Several of the 57 were sick with the crud by the time we got home. Luckily, no one in our family were seriously effected.
Softball season is upon us....so there has been practices, ordering uniforms, buying cleats, bats, batting gloves, etc., etc!! The first game is TONIGHT....WooHoo! I'm so ready to see some softball action.
THEN, tomorrow, I have a wedding! So my busyness has just begun. Actually tomorrow is the easy part. Except that it will take place about 2 hours away and that always adds to the stress. This is the wedding of a little girl I used to babysit years ago...ugh! It will be close to Alexander City, AL at a camp for terminally ill children, Children's Harbor. They have a cute little chapel right on Lake Martin. It's is supposed to be a beautiful day, so I'm sure the ceremony will be even more special. Say a little prayer for me AND for the new couple!!
This post is actually about something that is very close to my heart. Finding a cure for cancer....
This year the church my family attend is going to have a Team at the local Relay For Life. This year the event will take place May 8 & 9, 2009 at Fort McClellan. I am so excited and blessed to be able to do my part this year. Last year I attended for the first time to take pictures and observe. It totally blew me away. The Calhoun County Relay for Life is the biggest in Alabama. That makes me so proud. Last year they had close to 7,000 people attend and raised $626,500. How awesome is that??

That brings me to this.....

Dear Friends and Family,
This year, hundreds of thousands of people will hear the words "You have cancer", and there's a good chance that some of them will be people we know and love. Every school day 46 children are diagnosed with cancer. That's just the children. We have all been touched by cancer in some way ... and we all have the power to make a difference. That's why I have chosen to fight back right here in my own community by participating in the American Cancer Society Relay For Life®.
I want to invite you to join me in the fight against cancer by making a donation in support of my efforts. Further down in this message is a link to my personal Relay For Life® web page where you can make an online contribution. If you would rather not make an online contribution, you can certainly mail me a check in any amount, made out to The American Cancer Society. My mailing address is: 3111 Lori Lane, Oxford, AL 36203. Every amount, no matter how small, makes a difference and provides hope. You can also sign up to join my team and learn more about Relay and how it's changing lives. This year's event will take place at Fort McClellan, May 8-9, 2009.

Relay For Life® brings more than 3.5 million people from across the country together each year to celebrate the lives of those who have battled cancer, remember loved ones lost, and fight back against a disease that takes too much. This fun-filled, overnight event empowers everyone to help fight cancer by raising money and awareness to support the American Cancer Society's lifesaving mission.
I am doing this in memory of friends (Julian-age 4; Coleman-age 5; John Eric-age 2; Dante- age 2; Ethan-age 2; Jay-age 39 and too many more to list) and family (my uncle Charles) who I have lost to this horrific disease. And in honor of family (brother-in-law, Roger) and friends (Kennedy-age 4; Haley-age 19; Lynn, and many others) who are survivors.
Thank you in advance for your support. Together, we will celebrate, remember, and fight back.
For state fundraising notices and the American Cancer Society's Privacy Policy, please paste the following link into your browser: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/SU/su_0.asp.
This is the direct link to my personal donation page: You may have to copy and paste the link….. If you have any questions please e-mail me or call (256)832-9987.
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY09National?px=9676814&pg=personal&fr_id=15767
Be Blessed,
Gaye H. Phillips
A Moment in Time Photography
www.amitoxford.com
http://www.ghphillips.blogspot.com/

This was an e-mail that I sent out to everyone in my e-mail address book, so most of you have probably already read it, or at least I hope you read it, but more importantly I pray that you will help this monster we call cancer.

Here are the faces of a few that I am doing Relay For Life in memory of...

Coleman Larsen~Born 12/10/03; Diagnosed 9/21/06; Earned his wings 1/5/09...


Julian Avery~Born-5/12/03; Diagnosed-3/8/07; Earned his wings~1/19/08....
John Eric~Born-6/18/06; Diagnosed-9/7/07; Earned his wings~5/16/08....
Dante` Taraborelli~ Born-9/17/06; Diagnosed-12/29/07; Earned his wings~1/6/09.....

I pray that everyone who reads this will take the time to contribute...any amount will help....NO amount is too little. I have faith that my blog family will join me in this effort and pass the word to others. Together, if we all work together, we CAN find a cure for cancer in our lifetime....or at the least the lifetime of our children....This beast must be stopped.

As Coleman said so often....."NEVA DIV UP"....in his memory...we can NEVER GIVE UP!!

No comments: